New coup d’etat in Sudan, several ministers detained

Ministry of Information of Sudan confirmed the detention of several ministers and members of the ruling Sovereign Council. Their location is unknown, Reuters informsthat the arrests were carried out by people in military uniforms without identification marks and calls what is happening in Sudan “an attempted coup.” Opposition to the military authorities of Sudan “Association of Trade Unions” called on residents of the country to take to the streets and civil disobedience to resist the “military coup”.

According to various media reports, the Prime Minister of Sudan was detained Abdullah Hamdock (he was placed under house arrest), as well as four ministers and the civilian representative of the Sovereign Council of the country, Mohammad Feki.

In some areas of the Sudanese capital Khartoum, the Internet is now disconnected.

The previous military coup took place in Sudan in April 2019: President Omar al-Bashir, who ruled the country for 30 years, resigned, and the military said that power in the country had passed to them, or rather to the Council they formed. Sudanese Defense Minister Awad Ibn Uf said on national television that President al-Bashir had been arrested.

Sudanese Defense Minister announces coup

Sudanese Defense Minister announces coup

“I declare, as defense minister, that the existing regime has been overthrown, and its leader is under arrest and kept safe,” he said. He also said that during the rule of al-Bashir, Sudan “suffered from poor governance, corruption and lack of justice.”

A state of emergency was declared in the country, the Constitution was suspended, airspace and airports were closed, and borders were closed. The troops surrounded the presidential palace and took control of the roads and bridges. The military announced that power will pass to the Council created by him for a transitional period that will last two years, and then elections are to be held in the country.

Sudanese people were initially enthusiastic about the news of the coup. However, after more than two and a half years, the military was in no hurry to return power back to the civilian government. In November, the term of office of the Transitional Sovereign Council of the Sudan, which was supposed to transfer power, expired. In this regard, protests were held in Khartoum and other cities demanding the transfer of power from the military to civilian politicians.

Military coups are a fairly frequent case in the history of independent Sudan. Since the proclamation of the country’s independence in 1956, this is the sixth time that power has been changed, and only twice in history has the transfer of power in Sudan occurred peacefully. Each time, the coups took place against the backdrop of acute economic crises and the inability of various political groups to come to terms with each other.

The first coup took place in 1958, two years after the declaration of independence: Major General of the Army Ibrahim Abbud came to power with the support of the Islamist Al-Ummah party. He was later declared the president of the country.

The second coup in Sudan took place in May 1969, led by Lieutenant Colonel Jafar Nimeiri. The third happened in April 1985, two years after Sudan was declared an Islamic republic: it was headed by Lieutenant General Abderrahman al-Dahab. The fourth military coup took place in 1989, led by Brigadier General Omar al-Bashir. In October 1993, he was appointed President of the Sudan, and then re-elected in 1996, 2000, 2010, 2015, having reigned in power for 30 years.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.