Holidays January 26
The day of the worker of the control and revision service of Ukraine, the day of random referrals and the day of the customs officer are the most interesting holidays and events on January 26 at Korrespondent.net.
In the Gregorian calendar, January 26 is the 26th day of 2022. There are 339 days left until the new year.
What are the holidays on January 26 in Ukraine and the world
- Day of the worker of the control and revision service of Ukraine
- Random Directions Day
- International day of the customs officer
- Australia Day
- world environmental education day
- Selfie Day at the Library
Day of the customs officer
What events happened on January 26
- 1500 – Europeans first set foot on the soil of Brazil.
- 1525 – the first printed version of the map of Russia was published.
- 1788 is the day Sydney was founded.
- 1923 – the Garth Literary Union was created in Kharkov.
- 1924 – Petrograd is renamed Leningrad.
- 1931 – Magatma Gandhi is released from prison.
Who was born on January 26
- 1908 – French jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli.
- 1925 – American actor, director, producer Paul Newman.
- 1944 – American human rights activist, teacher, writer Angela Davis.
- 1961 – Canadian hockey player, center forward Wayne Gretzky.
Folk and church holidays
On this day, the Orthodox Church honors the memory of Ermil and Stratonik of Singidon, friends from Singidunum (nowadays Belgrade, Serbia). They were condemned to martyrdom for their faith in God.
Yermila was a deacon at Singidunum. He was subjected to terrible torture. But they could not force them to renounce Christ. As a result, he was drowned in the Danube River.
Stratonic was the caretaker of the dungeon where Yermila was thrown. Seeing the suffering of his prisoner, he could not hold back his tears and also confessed his faith in God, for which he was martyred.
Traditions and rituals
The people called this day Yaremin Day and tried not to offend pets, especially cats, so as not to lose happiness for seven years. They also forgave all offenders.
On January 26 you can’t hurt cats
- The forest is cracking – to prolonged frosts.
- The forest is noisy – to the imminent thaw.
- Around the month circle – to the blizzard.
Who has a birthday today
Name days on January 26 are celebrated by: Martha, Maxim, Athanasius, Peter, Yakov.
Name day January 26