Holidays February 17
The Great Terror in the USSR, the day of the cat and the day of the manifestation of the human spirit are the most interesting events on February 17 at Korrespondent.net.
February 17 is the 48th day of 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 317 days left until the end of the year.
What are the holidays in Ukraine and the world on February 17
european cat day
Spontaneous Kindness Day
Day of Awe before Bacchus
World Day of Manifestation of the Human Spirit
Castle in the Air Day
world information management day
Day What should I be?
What events happened on February 17
- 1795 – a huge potato weighing almost 8.5 kg was dug up in the UK.
- 1876 - Julius Wolf from Eastport (USA) created the first canned sardines.
- 1938 – on the Solovetsky Islands during the Great Terror in the USSR, a mass execution of the prisoners of the Solovetsky prison took place (then more than 200 people were executed per day).
- 1947 – the television and radio organization Voice of America conducted its first radio broadcast in Russian to the Soviet Union.
- 2015 – For the first time since the beginning of the Russian-Ukrainian war, the European Union officially recognized the participation of Russian troops in the conflict.
Execution on Solovki
Who was born on February 17
- 1957 – Canadian singer Lauryn McKennit.
- 1963 – American basketball player, two-time Olympic champion Michael Jordan.
- 1971 – American film actress Denise Richards.
- 1981 – American actress and fashion model Paris Gilton.
- 1988 – Ukrainian boxer, two-time Olympic champion Vasily Lomachenko.
Folk and church holidays
On this day, the Orthodox Church honors the memory of St. Nicholas of Studius, confessor. He was hegumen of Studia and lived in the 9th century during the time of the emperor of Byzantium, Leo the Armenin, who resumed iconoclasm. Nicholas was repeatedly arrested and tortured, but despite this, the saint preached the teachings of Christ. So God endowed him with the gift of healing.
Traditions and rituals
In the folk calendar, this date is known as Nicholas the Studite.
What Not to Do
It is forbidden to leave the house untidy, go on a trip, cut your hair and quarrel.
Hoarfrost on trees – for the harvest of buckwheat.
There is little snow in the forest – to warming.
The branches of the fir trees bend down – towards the snowfalls.
Cloudy – to warming.
Warm – for a long winter.
Who has a birthday today
Name days on February 17 are celebrated by: Yuri, Arkady, Ekaterina, Kirill, Boris, Anna, Nikolai, Fedor, Vasily, Dmitry, Sergey, Alexander, George, Andrey, Joseph, Alexei, Peter, Ivan, Mikhail.
Name day February 17