The Federal Supreme Court (STF) decided to keep the investigations against former Minister of Education Milton Ribeiro in the case of the bribery scheme for the release of resources from the National Fund for the Development of Education (FNDE) involving lobbyist pastors.
Until this Wednesday (29), the case file was in the Federal Court of the Federal District. But Judge Renato Coelho Borelli decided to send the case to the STF after the Federal Public Ministry (MPF) pointed to the “indication of leakage of the police operation and possible illicit interference by the President of the Republic Jair Messias Bolsonaro in the investigations”.
Learn more: Scandal of pastors at MEC: opposition articulates call for minister and own CPI in the Chamber
Minister Cármen Lúcia, responsible for authorizing the investigations, is the rapporteur of the case in the STF, as requested by the judge Renato Coelho Borelli himself. Now, the magistrate must forward the investigation to the manifestation of the Attorney General’s Office.
Last week, Federal Police (PF) delegate Bruno Calandrini sent a letter to the team of Operação Acesso Pago, which investigates the alleged corruption scheme in the MEC, in which he states that there was “interference in the conduct of the investigation” and that he has no “investigative and administrative autonomy to conduct the Police Investigation of this case with independence and institutional security”.
Added to the suspicions of interference is the audio of a telephone conversation on June 9 between Ribeiro and his daughter, the result of an interception by the PF. In it, the former minister says that President Bolsonaro called and said that there was the possibility of executing arrest warrants and search and seizure warrants at Ribeiro’s house. The former head of the MEC tells his daughter that “this can happen, if there are indications” and that Bolsonaro had a feeling that they wanted to reach him through the former minister. In the end, the daughter warns that she called her father on the “normal cell phone”. The ex-minister then breaks the conversation and ends the call.
See also: BdF Explains | The confusion of education in the Bolsonaro government
In another call intercepted by the PF, after Milton Ribeiro’s preventive detention, the ex-minister’s wife, Myrian Ribeiro, said that he “did not want to believe it”, but that he “was already aware” of what had happened. “To have rumors from above is because the deal was right,” Myriam said in a phone call.
For the PF, Myriam Ribeiro’s speech makes “believe that Milton Ribeiro would have known about a possible police operation”. The MPF, in turn, speaks of “indication of leakage of the police operation and possible illicit interference on the part of the President of the Republic Jair Messias Bolsonaro in the investigations”.
Federal Highway Police protest against Bolsonaro
Unionists from the Federal Highway Police protested this Thursday (30) against President Jair Bolsonaro, during a motorcycle ride by the retired captain with supporters in Campo Grande, capital of Mato Grosso.
During the president’s tour, unionists displayed posters with phrases critical of the government. “Bolsonaro, keep your word”, “Who owns the Bic pen?” and “Nothing to celebrate: Bolsonaro lied to the PRFs” were some of the phrases.
The category is about to receive a promised adjustment for years, but which has not yet arrived. Bolsonaro even announced a 5% readjustment for all federal civil servants. As the proposal was below the inflation of a period without readjustment, there was no agreement.
“The PRF union system reiterates its position of indignation at the lack of compliance with the word of the President of the Republic. Federal highway police officers throughout Brazil are getting sick, many others are losing the motivation to continue in their careers due to the real devaluation promoted by the Bolsonaro government, which is becoming the worst government for the Union’s police forces in recent decades”, says the Federation of unions in the category, in a note.
Prosecutor asks for new blockade of Alckmin’s assets
Prosecutor Ricardo Manuel Castro, of the Public Ministry of São Paulo, has filed an appeal against the decision of Judge Luiza Barros Rozas Verotti, of the 13th Court of the Public Treasury, which revoked the blockade of the assets of former governor Geraldo Alckmin in up to R $9.9 million, as of June 19.
The former governor of São Paulo is a defendant in a lawsuit that investigates the alleged transfer of R$ 7.8 million undeclared from Odebrecht to his reelection campaign in 2014. The block had been determined so that Alckmin would not hinder a possible payment in conviction case.
On the grounds that there are no indications that Alckmin is getting rid of his assets, Verotti ordered the assets to be unlocked. “The generic allegation of danger to the useful result of the process is no longer enough, it is necessary to demonstrate concrete facts that show that the investigated is trying to hide, divert or squander his assets”, says the text of the decision.
For the prosecutor, however, the blocking of assets is “reasonable and proportionate” for those who “squandered public assets by fraudulently taking possession of what did not belong to them”.
Datena withdraws from the electoral race
For the fourth time, Datena withdrew from an electoral race. This time, presenter José Luiz Datena (PSC) announced that he will no longer run for the Senate for São Paulo, this Thursday (30), during the program Brasil Urgente, on TV Bandeirantes. “I thought about it and decided to go my way,” he said.
Yesterday also ended the legal deadline for the presenter to continue working on television, if he continued with the candidacy. The expectation was that Datena would join the platform of former minister Tarcísio Freitas (Republicans), pre-candidate for government in the state, and President Jair Bolsonaro (PL).
“Firstly, I would like to leave my word here of affection for the president, who this morning made a statement that he had chosen me as a senator and that was exactly what was agreed, but I thought about it and decided to go my way (…) it wasn’t on his part that it didn’t work out,” Datena said.
On Thursday morning, Bolsonaro had declared his support for the presenter, in a conversation with people in the “pencil” of the Planalto Palace. “I’m with Datena there [em São Paulo], closed with Datena. He’s in another party. And there are criticisms [ao partido]. Just like there are people who criticize Tarcísio [por ele estar no Republicanos]. We were supposed to have pacified the deal.”
What can Daniel Silveira and Carlos Drummond have in common?
The National Library Medal — Order of Merit for the Book, from the National Library. This is what federal deputy Daniel Silveira (PTB-RJ) and writer Carlos Drummond de Andrade will have in common starting this Friday (1st).
The name of Daniel Silveira was chosen to receive the medal by the president of the National Library, Luiz Carlos Ramiro Júnior, and by the Special Secretary for Culture, Hélio Ferraz de Oliveira. Júnior took office in March of this year, after the monarchist Rafael Nogueira moved to the Special Secretariat for Culture.
Júnior has a YouTube channel where he discusses politics. In a video, the current president of the National Library stated that there was a “biological war” during the pandemic and that he had exaggerated the measures taken to combat the spread of covid-19.
Among the recipients of the medal in the country’s history are those who contributed to the universe of literature in the country. In addition to Carlos Drummond de Andrade, the writer Gilberto Freyre also received the medal.
“It’s a great honor. (…) It’s something that is very worthwhile,” said Silveira in an interview with Folha. “For me it is very honorable to have the recognition there.”
Editing: Nicolau Soares