Teenage girls took too much vitamin A
The girls decided to lose weight and take too much vitamin A because it tasted so good.
In Lvov, 13-year-old twin sisters lost their hair due to an overdose of vitamin A, and the skin began to peel off on their bodies. This was reported in the West Ukrainian Specialized Medical Children’s Center.
According to the girls’ mother, it all started when the sisters decided to lose weight. Mother helped them to eat right. Soon the woman noticed that her daughters became withdrawn and reluctant to communicate. Mom decided that the girls miss their father, who serves in the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The woman also thought that her daughters lacked vitamins due to a change in diet.
On the advice of a doctor, the mother began to give the girls vitamin A brought from abroad in the form of bears. The sisters used it in large quantities and had severe consequences. At first, the woman miscalculated the dose. The vitamins turned out to be delicious – girls use them secretly from their mother throughout the summer.
“It turned out that the children took an amount of the vitamin for a long time, which is 300 times the maximum allowable daily dose for adolescence,” the hospital says.
Health problems in children began with peeling of the skin on the face, neck, hands. Subsequently, hair began to fall out, up to complete baldness. Also, the sisters began to be disturbed by severe pains in the head and limbs.
One of the doctors, to whom the family turned, said that the girls could forever be left without hair.
However, specialists from the Western Ukrainian Children’s Medical Center were able to help them.
“The girls at the time of treatment were in poor condition, with signs of inflammatory changes in the tests. The doctors of the pediatric department suspected the toxic effect of an unknown substance. After all, both girls had the same clinical picture, similar to poisoning. We did tests for trace elements that can cause alopecia – mercury, lead, arsenic, thallium. But they all turned out to be negative. The understanding that it could be chronic hypervitaminosis of vitamin A came after a thorough analysis of the anamnesis,” said Vita Voloshchuk, pediatrician-gastroenterologist of the Center.
Doctors also note that prolonged excess of the dose of the vitamin led to disruption of the liver, signs of osteoporosis appeared, and the psycho-emotional state worsened.
“We managed to stabilize the condition of the girls. However, there is no specific antidote. The treatment for this condition is drug withdrawal and recovery time,” says Vita Voloshchuk.
The girls have already begun to grow hair.
“The girls are happy, and the mother is still a little worried. She is afraid that the excitement for her father, who was wounded at the front, will return problems. However, our experts assure that this will not happen. After all, alopecia in girls has completely different reasons,” they say in the hospital.
Earlier, five patients were saved in Lviv thanks to a posthumous donor.
News from Perild.com in Telegram. Subscribe to our channel
Leave a Reply