The plenary of the Superior Electoral Court (TSE) must decide, this Tuesday (14), whether it agrees with the decision of the electoral inspector general, Benedito Gonçalves, to include the draft of a coup decree in the investigation of former president Jair Bolsonaro (PL) for attacking the electoral process during a meeting with ambassadors.
Gonçalves included the document in the investigation about a month ago. Soon after, Bolsonaro’s defense appealed the decision. The electoral inspector-general then denied and submitted the decision to the TSE plenary, composed of him and six other ministers: Alexandre de Moraes, Ricardo Lewandowski, Cármen Lúcia, Raul Araújo, Sérgio Banhos and Carlos Horbach.
:: Minister of the TSE includes draft of the coup in investigation against Bolsonaro ::
The draft was found at the home of former Minister of Justice and former Secretary of Public Security for the Federal District Anderson Torres. The document authorizes Bolsonaro to declare a state of defense at the TSE headquarters to reverse the result of last year’s presidential election.
The PDT, the party that requested the inclusion of the document in the investigation, stated that the draft would be an “embryo conceived with the intention of a coup d’état”, which contributes with “the arguments that show the occurrence of abuse of political power tending to promote discredit to this Electoral Justice and the electoral process, with a view to altering the result of the election”.
By including the draft in the process, the TSE minister stated that the thesis presented by the acronym has “adherence”, “especially with regard to the correlation of the speech with the election and the quantitative aspect of gravity”. The speech, continued the minister, “did not only target the ambassadors, as it would be inserted in the campaign strategy of the first investigated to ‘mobilize his bases’ through knowingly false facts about the voting system”.
The minister also wrote that the PDT’s request “converges with its burden of convincing that, in line with the narrative presented in the initial petition, the meeting held with the ambassadors must be analyzed as an element of the 2022 electoral campaign, endowed with sufficient gravity to affect the normality and legitimacy of the elections and, thus, constitute abuse of political power and misuse of the means of communication”.
AGU wants BRL 20.7 million from scammers
The Attorney General’s Office (AGU) requested reimbursement of R$ 20.7 million from public coffers to those suspected of financing the charter of buses for the January 8 coup plotters. The request was made to the Federal Court of the Federal District.
In the document, the AGU asks for the conversion of the precautionary measure that requested the freezing of the financiers’ assets into a definitive condemnation of reimbursement to the public coffers. The value was calculated based on the losses presented by the Federal Supreme Court (STF), Palácio do Planalto, Federal Senate and Chamber of Deputies, whose headquarters were invaded and vandalized by Bolsonaristas in early January.
:: AGU asks in court that 59 defendants pay R$ 20 million for financing coup acts ::
In the request, the AGU says that “in a democratic regime, as in the Brazilian system, it is contrary to the customs of democracy and good faith to call and finance a movement or demonstration with the intention of taking power, a situation that highlights the illegality of the event occurred”, says the organ.
“(The suspects) were aware that the movement in organization could cause the event as it occurred is reinforced when we compare what was verified with the calls/summons to participate in the event, when express reference was already made to designs of non-peaceful acts (or of dubious peace) and the seizure of power”, says the AGU.
“(This) demonstrates an articulation prior to the movement with a non-orderly purpose, with the financing of transport being a primordial vector for it to take shape and materialize in the terms that occurred.”
PGR defends the release of 12 coup supporters in a demonstration sent to the STF
The Attorney General’s Office (PGR) expressed a position favorable to the release of 12 prisoners for their participation in the criminal acts of January 8, in Brasília, in an opinion sent, this Monday (13), to Minister Alexandre de Moraes, of the STF.
The PGR suggested the determination of precautionary measures, such as the prohibition of contact with other investigated, instead of preventive detention, a condition under which the 12 involved are currently. The body only remained in favor of maintaining the blocking of access to the investigated social networks.
The PGR manifestation was requested by Minister Alexandre de Moraes himself, after receiving a request for the release of the defense of the 12 investigated. Lawyers argue that those involved did not effectively participate in the invasion and destruction of the buildings of the Three Powers, but that they were only camped in front of the Army headquarters.
Editing: Vivian Virissimo
Leave a Reply